Several local students were among the high scorers at the seventh annual San Joaquin County Math Tournament for fourth through sixth grades.
A total of 33 teams from 21 schools competed on Saturday. Fifteen students tied for the high score, including 11 from Tracy and Mountain House:
- Michelle Bai, Discovery Charter School
- Austin Chen, Discovery Charter School
- Elijah Cruz, Questa School
- Michael Engen, Discovery Charter School
- Pranav Ganti, Altamont School
- Sangini Gatadi, Questa School
- Camden Hatch, Discovery Charter School
- Ryan Huang, Bethany School
- Julian Jfouf, Discovery Charter School
- Sowmya Sheppillayar, Altamont School
- Aahil Syed, Monte Vista-South/West Park schools
Discovery Charter took first place in the team competition, followed by Altamont, which tied for second. Questa finished in fourth place, and a combined team from Monte Vista and South/West Park placed fifth.
During the tournament, students had to solve 10 individual math problems in 30 minutes and 10 problems as a team in 20 minutes.
The goals of the tournament were to promote excellence in math, raise students’ test scores and increase their self-esteem, according to the coordinators. When it came to the questions, the idea was to present the students with unique and out-of-the-box math problems to solve.
Teams came from Ripon, Stockton and Lodi, as well as Tracy and Mountain House.
Another tournament for seventh- and eighth-graders will take place April 29 at the San Joaquin County Office of Education in Stockton.