10 years ago — 2009
Horseman Alberto Conde was the main attraction at the annual bloodless bullfights held at the bullring behind the Portuguese Hall.
Members of the Historical Landmark Committee of the West Side Pioneer Association are working at determining the exact location of Ellis, the Central Pacific town that preceded Tracy in 1869. A monument will be placed near the site.
Araya Corral has made history by being selected as the first girl named to the Tracy Babe Ruth 7-8 division all-star team.
In an effort to reach emergencies faster, the Tracy Fire Department is planning to move two fire stations.
Lammersville School is registering students for its first full-day kindergarten class.
25 years ago — 1994
Tracy High students scored high on Golden State Exams in economics. Teacher Joe Moore is credited with providing quality instruction in the topic.
Retired Tracy farmer Ernest Robertson is being recognized in the 25th anniversary of the Battle of Normandy following D-Day landings. A British Army artillery officer, he came ashore at Sword Beach 16 days after D-Day.
On a 6-1 vote, the San Joaquin County Planning Commission has approved expanding a cement plant on Linne Road at the foot of Tracy Municipal Airport’s main runway. Tracy officials opposed the project.
Incumbent Sheriff Baxter Dunne has won a close reelection race over challenger Sgt. Jack Turturici.
The city planning commission has approved plans to develop the 661-home Eastlake housing development that includes a manmade lake. Housing prices are set to start at $160,000.
50 years ago — 1969
Southpaw Marty Moreno has captured the title in the Senior Elementary School recreational tennis tournament.
Beth McClelland, 17-year-old Tracy High senior, has departed for Paraguay, where she will be an American Field Service exchange student for two months.
Tracy-based Sasser Tractor Co. has established a branch farm implement outlet at Five Points, Fresno County.
Pete Vlandis has become the sponsor of the Tracy entry in the San Joaquin Amateur Baseball Association
The Tracy Fisco (Farm and Industrial Supply Co.) store is opening at the corner of Highway 50 (11th Street) and Chrisman Road.
Picking of Tracy area’s apricot crop is beginning in orchards south of town. Spring rainstorms reduced yields for the popular Tilton variety.
75 years ago — 1944
A locally owned alfalfa-dehydrating plant has started operations in Vernalis.
The Service Men’s Club on the top floors of the old Central School building on Central Avenue is now open.
Peterson Creamery is opening an “Ice Cream Bar and Lounge” featuring sundaes, sodas, milkshakes and “special fountain dishes” at one side of the restaurant at 11th and B streets.
100 years ago — 1919
The Buschke family is planning to build a two-story building at the corner of Eighth Street and Central Avenue. (It became the new home of the Bank of Tracy.)
Tracy voters approved two of the improvement bond issues placed on the ballot. Road, sewer and water projects were among those approved.
Four regular “telephone girls” and two “extras” staged a one-day strike for better wages. Experienced operators now receive $10 to $12.50 per week.
— Tracy Press archives